With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and a hard pivot to remote work, it is likely your HR team has their hands full onboarding or offboarding employees. This process is closely tied to many IT practices.
Here are some areas to consider when onboarding remote workers in the age of COVID-19:
Provide a clear confidential data policy and an acceptable use policy to all new employees
- The onus is on you as an employer to set out clear expectations around how employees should manage, transmit, and store data. A strong Confidential Data Policy will give examples of confidential data and specify limits on use and disclosure of such.
- Likewise, an Acceptable Use Policy will clearly state your company’s expectations around proper usage of company technology. Again, examples should be included, such as guidelines around usage of the company network, password management, copyright violations, email policy, privacy, guidelines for authorized access, and more.
Plan and implement laptop provisioning and access privileges during remote onboarding and offboarding
Now that your team is going remote, you should have an organized and clearly communicated system for onboarding and offboarding employees or contractors. You’ll find it is well worth taking the time to plan accordingly.
Here are some questions to consider in relation to onboarding remote workers:
- Do you have system for assigning, removing, and documenting access privileges during the onboarding or offboarding process?
- Are you purchasing, provisioning, and shipping computers, phones, or equipment, and is there are team member assigned to this role and a clear process in place?
- Is there a designated IT staff member in charge of managing user accounts?
Still thinking through these challenges? For more detail, check out our article on Laptop provisioning, management, and safety.
If you’re looking for IT assistance as you negotiate a hard pivot to remote work get in touch. We’re very familiar with remote work and are happy to help.
LimeTech is a creative tech company with a focus on innovation and adaptive change. We use technical know-how, design skills, and deep experience in entrepreneurship to help companies advance their business goals. Do you need IT planning, mobile app development, web design, or remote work solutions that will take your business to the next level? Get in touch today and find out what we can do for you.